Thursday, January 15, 2009

Making Resolutions Stick

New Year brings with it a sense of renewal and dreams of new possibilities. The atmosphere is suddenly ripe for change. This year I picture an image of myself different to how I am now.

Millions of people make New Year resolutions. Some resolutions will stick; others will dissipate with the melting snow. Last year mine fell into the latter category.

I have never been a big fan of making resolutions at New Year because they rarely result in change, though, in my case, that is because I rarely keep them. How many of us have started a diet, or joined a gym, only to fall back into old habits? Why do we, with the best of intentions, stop doing what we started?

I am a procrastinator--I can be great at starting something but not so great at reaching the finish line. But in 2009 I’ve decided to change all that. I thought about what it would take to make change stick and concluded that--even with the best intentions in the world--it will only happen if backed by a plan. One that is manageable. So this year I have made three resolutions and have an action plan around each one.

I think that real change takes time, so I won’t be repeating the mistakes of 2008 when I tried to accomplish everything at once. This year my goals are attainable, not pie in the sky. I also plan to make myself accountable by sharing my goals with a couple of friends. And, as with any good challenge, I plan to reward myself sometime before the bells chime in the new year of 2010!

No comments:

Change Morphs to Chance

I was part of a large layoff from Wells Fargo, the only place I had worked since emigrating from Great Britain many moons ago. It felt like ...